Thursday, November 15, 2007

Chasing A Flush Preflop

I want to share a couple hands from a SNG I played recently. They aren't the most thought provoking but I think they're relatively demonstrative of the type of play I encounter at these stakes. I'm usually not thinking about hand history posts in the middle of a game, and I'm only beginning to go back through my hand histories more regularly - these are the only ones recently that I found remotely interesting.

Hand 1:

Seat 1: K1200s (1,380)
Seat 2: NeverBluffsGuy (3,170)
Seat 3: SusieQ1980 (960)
Seat 5: iliiliiiliiiil (1,395)
Seat 6: ipre4u (1,595)
Seat 7: mclarich (1,425)
Seat 8: hootman6913 (2,135)
Seat 9: Brandilynnpoker (1,440)
iliiliiiliiiil posts the small blind of 20
ipre4u posts the big blind of 40
The button is in seat #3
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to mclarich [Qd Ks]
mclarich raises to 120
NeverBluffsGuy calls 120
*** FLOP *** [3s As 9s]
mclarich checks
NeverBluffsGuy bets 300
mclarich calls 300
*** TURN *** [3s As 9s] [5s]
mclarich checks
NeverBluffsGuy checks
*** RIVER *** [3s As 9s 5s] [7s]
mclarich has 15 seconds left to act
mclarich bets 1,005, and is all in
NeverBluffsGuy folds
mclarich wins the pot (900)

Raise UTG with KQo. Not something I always do, but it's OK every now & then at these stakes. I could end up stacking someone who had KJ or less, and a pair or AK will usually reraise. CO+1 calls, and he seems to be a decent player. I make a loose call on the flop for two reasons: One, the draw to the nut flush, even though I'm not getting odds to chase. Two, and more importantly, I don't put this guy on the flush. When I see that pot bet, I call knowing that I can take this hand away from him on the river. His bet seemed weak, and I'm pushing the river 90% of the time because I sense that he could lay down the hand and I the stack to get him to do it. My mistake is going for the OBFV on the river - I don't know that he calls with anything other than QsXx right there, but a lesser spade may call a smaller river bet.

Hand 2:

Seat 1: K1200s (1,380)
Seat 2: NeverBluffsGuy (4,365)
Seat 5: iliiliiiliiiil (1,360)
Seat 6: ipre4u (1,490)
Seat 7: mclarich (1,280)
Seat 8: hootman6913 (2,060)
Seat 9: Brandilynnpoker (1,565)
ipre4u posts the small blind of 25
mclarich posts the big blind of 50
The button is in seat #5
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to mclarich [Kh 9d]
iliiliiiliiiil has 15 seconds left to act
iliiliiiliiiil raises to 150
mclarich raises to 400
iliiliiiliiiil has 15 seconds left to act
iliiliiiliiiil raises to 1,360, and is all in
mclarich has 15 seconds left to act
mclarich folds
iliiliiiliiiil wins the pot (825)

A couple of hands later, button bets 3x when it folds to him. I make the mistake of putting him on a steal & reraise. I can't call his push with K9. Had I been more observant, I would have seen this was the first hand he raised all game, making a steal a bit less likely. About 3 hands before this, I laid down AQo after reraising a big bet from UTG, only to have the SB reraise me. Obviously, he had AA, and it was good against UTG's TT. So within about 4 hands, I've already has to lay down two hands preflop after reraising. That's a key setup for the next hand.

Hand 3:

Seat 1: K1200s (1,380)
Seat 2: NeverBluffsGuy (4,365)
Seat 5: iliiliiiliiiil (1,785)
Seat 6: ipre4u (1,465)
Seat 7: mclarich (880)
Seat 8: hootman6913 (2,060)
Seat 9: Brandilynnpoker (1,565)
mclarich posts the small blind of 25
hootman6913 posts the big blind of 50
The button is in seat #6
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to mclarich [Qc Ah]
mclarich raises to 880, and is all in
hootman6913 calls 830
mclarich shows [Qc Ah]
hootman6913 shows [5d 5h]
*** FLOP *** [9d 3h Kc]
*** TURN *** [9d 3h Kc] [7c]
*** RIVER *** [9d 3h Kc 7c] [Ad]
mclarich shows a pair of Aces
hootman6913 shows a pair of Fives
mclarich wins the pot (1,760) with a pair of Aces
hootman6913: OH $#%&ING HELL

Very next hand. Folds to my SB. I chose to shove here mainly because I wanted to create an image that I was on tilt after having to fold recently. I'll take a call since I'm ahead or flipping against most hands here. What I didn't want to do was put in a standard raise then have to fold to a bet if I miss the flop. The BB calls with presto but doesn't realize that he's not Fuel and that presto is not gold. Yet I'm the one that gets berated. Here's some excerpts from the chat that followed:

NeverBluffsGuy: wow
NeverBluffsGuy: huge overbet there
hootman6913: i had to call him with pockets <--cause there's no way possible I'm shoving 66+ there
mclarich: hoping he'd put me on tilt after folding two solid hands back to back
hootman6913: mclarich shut up
hootman6913: u got lucky
mclarich: never said i didn't
hootman6913: when u learn how to play u can speak again
hootman6913: how about seeing a flop before u go all in
hootman6913: its a novel concept <--for weak donks like this guy
NeverBluffsGuy: who likes flops?
NeverBluffsGuy: they're boring!
hootman6913: oh no overbet this time
mclarich: don't be mad just cause you lost a coinflip with a measly pair
mclarich: i go all in once and i'm labeled an overbetter?
hootman6913: hell why dont we all go all in right now

(break in chat while I lookup his sharkscope stats)

mclarich: hey hootman
hootman6913: hey douchebag
mclarich: try getting out of the negative before you start talking like a badass
mclarich: mr. -40% roi
hootman6913: your point and tonight ill be back up 100% <--obv doesn't understand what ROI is
hootman6913: like i am every night
mclarich: if you can't handle a beat calling an allin with 55, then you should just learn to fold it
mclarich: you'll feel better in the long run
mclarich: we should all just min bet from now on
mclarich: so hootman is happy
hootman6913: why mclarich because i know how to slow play <--calling 16x raise with 55 is a slow play?
hootman6913 raises to 240
hootman6913: theres ur raise buddy
hootman6913: now call me
mclarich: i'm waiting for AQ again
hootman6913: ull never get it
mclarich: clever comeback
hootman6913: wasnt meant to be clever was just true
mclarich: you must be a psychic then
hootman6913: so can u play any hands that arent face cards or double digets <--zing! I guess I should learn to play 49o more often.
mclarich: go back to absolute, cheater
mclarich: sure
mclarich: just won't play OOP with them

Hand 4:

Seat 2: NeverBluffsGuy (4,400)
Seat 5: iliiliiiliiiil (1,805)
Seat 6: ipre4u (3,250)
Seat 7: mclarich (1,550)
Seat 8: hootman6913 (950)
Seat 9: Brandilynnpoker (1,545)
iliiliiiliiiil posts the small blind of 50
ipre4u posts the big blind of 100
The button is in seat #2
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to mclarich [Jh Kh]
mclarich raises to 300
hootman6913: umm pockets u always call <--get that everyone? ALWAYS!
hootman6913: UT OH HES GOT ACE QUEEN
hootman6913 has 15 seconds left to act
hootman6913 raises to 950, and is all in
mclarich calls 650
hootman6913 shows [Qh Ts]
mclarich shows [Jh Kh]
NeverBluffsGuy: this is gonna be good
*** FLOP *** [6d 5c 7d]
*** TURN *** [6d 5c 7d] [5s]
*** RIVER *** [6d 5c 7d 5s] [Jc]
mclarich wins the pot (2,050) with two pair, Jacks and Fives
mclarich: LOL
hootman6913 stands up

So the dude next to me is still on tilt. The table's getting short and I feel like he's going to push on any raise I make with a wide range of hands. Plus, the table is very tight & predictable at this point, so raising UTG with KJ sooted is a no brainer. Sure enough, the other dude pushes, and I insta-call. He couldn't have picked a worse hand to fight me with - QTo? I'm not playing like a maniac, so the best he could really hope for is two live cards. Luckily no suckout occured because it probably would've tilted me. Not the suckout itself, but the barrage of comments that would've come my way if he did suckout. We get in a few more words before he finally goes away:

mclarich: QT
mclarich: he pushed with QT
mclarich: unsooooooted
hootman6913 (Observer): yea i dont use suits buddy
hootman6913 (Observer): im not a rookie I dont chase flush's <---best.quote.ever
mclarich: you can't "chase" a flush before the flop
hootman6913 (Observer): never good luck man dont let that $!$&$$@ win any money
mclarich: i got him so on tilt he pushed with Q high

I ultimately go out in 3rd when I run 44 into AA. If anyone has anything to share about any of these hands, please do. I think the only hand I play differently is the K9 hand, but I don't think I played it that badly to begin with - more often than not, I'm up against a steal over a legitimate hand. I'll try to keep these hand history posts a bit shorter in the future, but if you're a loyal reader, you've already come to expect long posts from me anyways, so just deal with it. Ha!

2 Comments:

At November 20, 2007 at 10:22 AM, Blogger jamyhawk said...

That is by far, the funniest thing I have read all week.
I was right there with you on the KJsooted play. And on the AQ play. K9off is pretty far out there for a steal hand, much less a re-steal. Good job folding though.

 
At November 20, 2007 at 8:58 PM, Blogger Matt said...

Jamy,

Agreed on the K9 hand, although I put him on a complete blind steal so I felt I could reraise with ATC. But I didn't consider what would happen if he flat called. Luckily, I didn't have to worry about that decision.

Thanks for the comment!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home