Thursday, January 03, 2008

A Tough Hand From The Mookie

Thanks to everyone for the comments on my last post. I have to admit, a tilty post like that is out of the ordinary for me, but it felt good to unleash all that. Obviously I played the hand badly but my opponent's unsolicited remark afterwards started some banter that just kept my rage going. Let's move on now. This hand confused the hell out of me last night. I'm pretty sure I made the right laydown, but I'd like to get some input.

Full Tilt Poker Game #4717232109: The Mookie (35293529), Table 5 - 60/120 - No Limit Hold'em - 23:14:46 ET - 2008/01/02
Seat 1: twoblackaces (2,955)
Seat 2: mclarich (6,130)
Seat 3: KngofKngs (2,965)
Seat 4: Donkette (5,415)
Seat 5: Fuel55 (5,730)
Seat 6: TheCloserX5 (5,620)
Seat 7: dnasty13 (5,698)
Seat 8: IlkkaK (2,305)
Seat 9: UnTiltable15 (6,512)
KngofKngs posts the small blind of 60
Donkette posts the big blind of 120
The button is in seat #2
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to mclarich [Ks As]
Fuel55 folds
TheCloserX5 folds
dnasty13 folds
IlkkaK folds
UnTiltable15 folds
twoblackaces folds
mclarich raises to 360
KngofKngs has 15 seconds left to act
KngofKngs folds
Donkette calls 240

Nothing much to speak of here - standard raise, was hoping that Donkette would see it as a steal & reraise. No such luck.

*** FLOP *** [Ac Kd Qd]
Donkette checks
mclarich bets 360
Donkette calls 360

So I hit the flop pretty strong, but with straight & flush draws, I'm still vulnerable. What's interesting is Donkette instacalled. I rule out AA-QQ based on the play so far - the only hand I'm behind is JT. Flush draw is also a possibility, and very likely based on the instacall.

*** TURN *** [Ac Kd Qd] [4c]
Donkette checks
mclarich bets 600
Donkette calls 600

In retrospect I probably should have bet this bigger (betsizing has become a bit of a problem for me lately, not sure why). My thought at the time was: the 4c was a safe card, and with 1 card to come, I don't mind stringing her along for some more, but I probably should have bet 1000-1200 here. The problem with my bet is that I don't get any more information than I had before; she's still getting decent odds to chase.

*** RIVER *** [Ac Kd Qd 4c] [Th]
Donkette bets 2,700

Well this sure throws me for a loop. I can't see her betting two pair this hard. The bet size throws me off big time - did she have Jx & hit? AJ, KJ, or QJ? Jx of diamonds? If so, why is she betting this so hard now? The possibility of a missed draw is there - the pot bet looks designed to push me off the hand.

mclarich has 15 seconds left to act

If I'm behind, it has to be to Jx. I'm trying to find a way to call this. The bet represents about 58% of my stack. With about 2100 left I'm still in good position, but I'd be entering push or fold mode shortly if I lose.

mclarich has requested TIME
mclarich folds
Donkette wins the pot (2,700)

In the end, I decided to save my chips for a better spot. Donkette's pot bet left her with about 1300, and I really didn't believe that she'd call all that down just to bluff me when a bad river card hit. I gave her credit for having some kind of Jack; maybe AJ-QJ, or even flopping it with JT. Her bet seemed like she was saying "I have a Jack. If you do too, so be it". Otherwise, if she reads me for having strength, she may think I can't lay it down. If she had just the flush draw, then kudos to her for a great bet on the river (and shame the dealer for bringing that nasty card).

Ignore the betsizing problem on the turn for now (I should point out that my small bet on the turn did keep the pot small, making sure I wasn't priced in for a river call, thank you very much!). Do you make the hero fold or the gutsy call here?

5 Comments:

At January 3, 2008 at 3:52 PM, Blogger Fuel55 said...

Sucky card and ok fold

 
At January 4, 2008 at 10:20 AM, Blogger RaisingCayne said...

I'm with Fuel... good fold!

(Although, it is hard for me to ignore the bet size error on the turn. Your 600 chip bet, was just 40% of the pot, post-turn with top two on a scary board, seems like you were begging for a call from practically ATC. I wouldn't be surprised to find out Donkette had something awful like KJ or QJ, considering you really priced her in to see a river.)

 
At January 4, 2008 at 1:50 PM, Blogger Alan aka RecessRampage said...

Easy fold.

Turn bet was horrible though. Pot control should not be an excuse for poor bet sizing!

Happy New Year!

 
At January 8, 2008 at 10:57 PM, Blogger lightning36 said...

I agree with the others. Not enough push with what you had, but a good fold when Full Tilt did its usual screw job.

 
At January 11, 2008 at 8:16 AM, Blogger jamyhawk said...

I'll agree the fold was good.

But no one else said it, so I'll ask: Why not hit the flop bet harder? I mean, I don't mind taking that pot down right then and there with top two pair. What I'm afraid of is a made hand or a draw. And I think with a pot sized bet on the flop, you will find out better what Donkette has.

Just my opinion.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home