Monday, December 03, 2007

Talkin Bout Some Omaha

Still plugging along in my bankroll challenge. Had a good run on Saturday night, not quite as good on Sunday night. Pretty much broke even between the two nights. Sunday was pretty wicked though - just one of those days where getting it in with the best hand wasn't enough. Flopped sets losing to turned quads, flopped boats losing to a counterfeit boat on the river. So ghey.

I did exercise my option to withdraw money from my bankroll without consequence, so I took out a bit to use to cover some expenses this week. I told myself when I started this challenge that I couldn't let myself get upset if I needed or wanted to take out money, so withdrawing it wasn't a problem. One day, those sets & boats will hold up and my bankroll will be back to where it should be.

One thing I have been playing a lot more of lately are PLO SNGs. I usually play the low-stakes Turbo games, but I'll jump into a 2-table regular one when I get the chance. Like most of the games at these stakes, the players are atrocious, even more so than the NL games. I understand that Omaha is a drawing game, but these players take it to the extreme. Anyways, I won't claim to be a PLO expert, but I have at least a basic understanding of the game & can do well from time to time. I enjoy playing the game & understand that there is more strategy than calling any raise with AFC (any four cards) and see what the flop brings. But I'd be lying if I said I was a solid PLO player, so I have a couple of hands that I had some questions about.

Hand 1

Seat 1: dhep8288 (1,440)
Seat 2: DeKewler (1,680)
Seat 3: TreyFu (1,470)
Seat 4: Anze11Kopitar (1,500)
Seat 5: Woodsmith111 (1,620)
Seat 6: mclarich (1,500)
Seat 7: moose7200 (1,410)
Seat 8: corky40 (1,500)
Seat 9: spaulds23 (1,380)
TreyFu posts the small blind of 20
Anze11Kopitar posts the big blind of 40
The button is in seat #2
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to mclarich [9s Ad Qs 9c]
Woodsmith111 folds
mclarich calls 40
moose7200 folds
corky40 folds
spaulds23 calls 40
dhep8288 calls 40
DeKewler folds
TreyFu calls 20
Anze11Kopitar checks
*** FLOP *** [9d 5c Tc]
TreyFu checks
Anze11Kopitar checks
mclarich bets 120
spaulds23 calls 120
dhep8288 calls 120
TreyFu folds
Anze11Kopitar folds
*** TURN *** [9d 5c Tc] [5d]
mclarich checks
spaulds23 checks
dhep8288 bets 280
mclarich calls 280
spaulds23 calls 280
*** RIVER *** [9d 5c Tc 5d] [Th]
mclarich has 15 seconds left to act
mclarich bets 1,060, and is all in
spaulds23 calls 940, and is all in
dhep8288 folds
Uncalled bet of 120 returned to mclarich
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Seat 6: mclarich showed [9s Ad Qs 9c] and lost with a full house, Nines full of Tens
Seat 9: spaulds23 showed [5h 4c 5s 7s] and won (3,280) with four of a kind, Fives

I made a questionable push on the river here, hoping that someone had a T without having T5 or T9. Of course, I didn't expect to see quads. I was a little overaggressive & ran into a cooler.

Afterwards, I made some needling remarks about his starting hand selection. To his credit, he only limped in so it wasn't like he called a raise OOP with that hand. Perhaps I have a tigher starting hand selection than most, but I hate playing hands like that. He has to catch the perfect flop (which he almost did) for that hand to hold up, but what happens when the flop comes 678 with two clubs? How hard do you play that in a limped pot with the ass end of a straight & a flush draw? Or if the flop comes AT9 all hearts? How confident can you feel with the low flush? I wasn't saying that he made a bad decision to limp with that hand, only that it's not really that great of a hand to play PLO with. Thoughts?

Hand 2

Seat 2: mclarich (3,110)
Seat 6: chairman (2,225)
Seat 7: Trent819 (6,698)
Seat 8: AAxavierAA (1,467)
chairman posts the small blind of 80
Trent819 posts the big blind of 160
The button is in seat #2
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to mclarich [As Jh 8s 9s]
AAxavierAA raises to 320
mclarich calls 320
chairman folds
Trent819 calls 160
*** FLOP *** [6c Ts 4s]
Trent819 checks
AAxavierAA bets 1,040
mclarich raises to 2,720
Trent819 folds
AAxavierAA calls 107, and is all in
mclarich shows [As Jh 8s 9s]
AAxavierAA shows [Qd Qh Qs 7d]
*** TURN *** [6c Ts 4s] [8h]
*** RIVER *** [6c Ts 4s 8h] [Kh]
Seat 2: mclarich (button) showed [As Jh 8s 9s] and lost with a pair of Eights
Seat 8: AAxavierAA showed [Qd Qh Qs 7d] and won (3,334) with a pair of Queens

I don't really care that much about what comments people make, but when the big stack commented with "pathetic", I didn't understand. He might not have been talking about me, I wasn't sure. I know I don't have a made hand here, but I'm swimming in outs with a chance to acquire a bunch of chips. In fact, I'm ahead of the AAxavierAA here 54% to 46% on the flop. I don't want to flat call then have the big stack call with something like two pair or some other kind of draw. If he has me beat, so be it, but I reraise here to get him to fold & isolate the shorty. Did I really play this that badly? I'd love to hear from those of you that play PLO regularly, and even those that don't.

3 Comments:

At December 4, 2007 at 12:48 AM, Blogger MHG said...

I'd bet the comment from the big stack stemmed from the fact that you pushed him out of a pot he would have won. Good play.

 
At December 5, 2007 at 12:39 AM, Blogger MHG said...

Also, you're going to Vegas, ya? Think you could do me a favor?

 
At December 26, 2007 at 7:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some comments by the book, first of all the Trips Q's should have folded and not even played the hand. Your hand was reasonable, 3 cards working together and a suited Ace, so just bad luck, you had the better Ohmaha hand in most situations.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home