Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Things I Learned Yesterday

1. Razz freerolls on FTP are both highly entertaining & infuriating as well. Among the horrible plays I saw were:

Players continually calling completion bets with face cards showing
Someone raising on 7th street showing AKJT (those T-highs sure are monsters!)
Someone four-betting me with J8 showing when I'm showing 67 (with A2 underneath).

Of course, this is razz, and I donked a couple of hands to, but that last one was brutal. I was shortstacked, and with 67T(A2) and everyone capping it, I knew this was my best chance to get my money in. But the last two cards were 6A, and I end up losing to 87432. Oh well, who cares - I got some razz practice, which is more important than fighting it out for a couple of hours to win $15.

2. Linking up other bloggers to your previously unknown blog will get you some comments.

How does that work? I've been linked up before, and the only way I found out was to actually visit that person's blog. Keep in mind, I'm still relatively new to using Blogger, but it looks like I'm missing something here.

Anyways, thanks to all those that commented yesterday. I've adjusted my blogroll to account for everyone, and I'm sure I'll have more additions down the road. I'm glad some of you were able to appreciate my post - it makes it feel just a little bit less ghey.

3. I'm a better poker player today than I was yesterday.

Just finished HOH1 last night. Can't really say I learned anything completely new last night, but it did help me understand that I need to be more disciplined at the table. I've found that my style of play the past couple of months has been the result of a couple of principles:

1. I haven't made a concerted effort to understand the style of others at my table, which in turn...

2. I find myself making -EV plays by either folding when I should be calling OR reraising, or trying to run over the table when I should be folding, which is part of the bigger notion of...

3. I try to make moves when I'm only in level one thinking. I'm simply playing my cards, only winning when I'm getting paid off on monster hands. This isn't to say that I'm NOT capable of running some dirty bluffs at key times, but I'm often playing with less regard to position and flop context than I should be.

Anyways, despite the desire to get back into online poker, especially with the announcement of the Battle Of The Blogger Tournaments, I'm still planning to take at least a 3 month hiatus soon. I won't be at the Mookie tonight, but I do plan on playing the $26k Guaranteed tonight, so I'll at least stop by and check out the game.

Good luck everyone, and go play the Mookie tonight!

5 Comments:

At April 4, 2007 at 1:55 PM, Blogger TripJax said...

www.technorati.com

Check it out...you can keep up with who is linking you up and whenever someone writes something with your name or screen name in it.

Also, I use Google Reader and what I did is submit the RSS feed for anytime someone uses tripjax or tripjax.com in there posts. That way, whenever someone does that, it will be like a new post from Google in my list of blogs to read so I can see what was written.

If that doesn't make sense, but you want to know more, just let me know and I'll try to explain it better...

 
At April 4, 2007 at 1:57 PM, Blogger DrChako said...

Just heard about you from Seattle John. Yet another Seattle poker player and blogger here. If you are playing at the Muckleshoot, look us up.

-DrC

 
At April 4, 2007 at 2:53 PM, Blogger Fuel55 said...

Classic - but you got me thinking!

 
At April 5, 2007 at 9:37 AM, Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

Hey Matt.

#1 many of us bloggers use counters or tracking tools to see where people are linking to our sites from, what search terms people are using to find our blogs, etc. Much as Trip offered above, if you don't know where to find these things but are interested in having them, let me know and I will be happy to walk you through it.

#2 do yourself a favor and read HoH Volume 2. Volume 1 is a great poker book, but Volume 2 is truly the seminal work on poker tournaments today. Lots of new ideas and new ways of thinking about things and approaching tournament poker problems. Top 2 or 3 best poker books ever written IMHO.

 
At April 9, 2007 at 2:50 PM, Blogger Jordan said...

Check out two free services that keep track of your traffic, including where you get your traffic from (i.e., incoming links):

Statcounter.com
Extremetracking.com

I prefer statcounter for the layout, but extreme provides more detailed and long-term-compiled info (both are invisible to your readers).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home