Monday, September 29, 2008

Go Steelers!

Specifically, Santonio Holmes.

I'd love to see the Steelers tonight, but preferably, I'd like to see them win by throwing three 80 yard TD passes to Santonio. That's what it's going to take to beat meanhappyguy in our Fantasy Football league this week.

Ugh, what a fucking horrible week Fantasy-wise. In Skidoo's blogger league, I was without my top 2 RBs (Addai on bye, Parker hurt again), leaving me to start Edgerrin James and Chris Perry. I was fine with James, and he came through OK this week, but trying to win any week without your top two RBs is tough. But I thought I had a chance against MHG, who had a laughable lineup including Hank Baskett and Chester Taylor. Instead, he nearly outscores me with three players: Favre, Lavueradalfsdf Coles AND the NYJ Jets. Talk about a perfect storm: I end up losing to someone who started 3 Jets because he was lucky enough to be scheduled against me when they played the Cardinals. In retrospect, I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up. After living in AZ for most of my life, I know all too well about the futility of that franchise. I'll cheer for them when I can, but I'll never get too invested in them because, no matter what happens, they'll always be horrible.

In my $100 league, I was also without my top two backs (Julius Jones & Westbrook) my top WR (Wayne) and my starting defense (Seattle). On top of that, my bye week defense was none other than....Arizona. However, I was able to reap a little bit of benefit from that game since my other WR is Cotchery. Between Cotchery & Romo alone, and in light of AZ's "performance" costing me 8 points, I was able to outscore my opponent 56 to 37. Ugh-ly.

......

It's around Week 4 where I start trying to solidify my roster. I'm kicking myself for my draft strategy in the blogger league; had I paid attention to the fact that our flex player HAS to be a WR, I definitely would have held off on drafting a QB as high as I did with Romo. I do have Greg Jennings, who has been an absolute stud thus far, but I'm left reaching for WR leftovers to fill my lineup each week. I actually used a waiver claim two weeks ago when I thought Koren Robinson was going to play against STL, and this week, I'm adding players like Justin Gage and Steve Breaston.

My RBs leave me much to be desired as well. With Addai & Parker I have a formidable yet inconsistent 1-2 punch. I'd love to be able to trade one of them to shore up my WR front but I'm not ready to roll with James or Chris Perry as my No 2. back. My only other tradeable asset is Romo, but he has an awesome schedule the next couple weeks and I can't afford to give up his consistency.

In my $100 league, I'm looking a bit better. I'll roll with Westbrook and J. Jones, and I've got Buckhalter as a quality handcuff, but I wouldn't mind a bit more RB depth (Sproles, Perry and T. Jones). At WR, if I can upgrade Cotchery I wouldn't mind, but he and Wayne aren't a bad 1-2 punch. Holt and Roddy White are my backups. Holt hasn't done anything but I'm not ready to give up on him just yet. White has put up decent numbers despite a rookie QB but I'm still trying to figure out ATL's offense, especially now that their schedule is going to get a whole lot tougher.

Anyways, this year is proving to be a bigger challenge than in years past, but that's the fun of it. Plus, I'm 3-1 in my big league, and soon to be 2-2 in the blogger league, so it's not like I'm completely out of it either. Either way, it's been fun thus far.

But it'll be more fun if Santonio explodes tonight, as long as it's enough to win. There's nothing I'd hate more than to see him get something like 130 yards and 3 TDs yet I still lose by 5 points. F that.

4 Comments:

At September 29, 2008 at 3:57 PM, Blogger BWoP said...

I'm in the same boat as you . . . I am down points and need to get a ton of production out of Holmes.

And if not Holmes, maybe McGahee???

 
At September 29, 2008 at 4:28 PM, Blogger Schaubs said...

Is it at all possible that Baltimore gets less than 4 points tonight?

I sure hope so...

GLGL

 
At September 29, 2008 at 5:47 PM, Blogger MHG said...

*dances in his Tom Landry hat to the bank*

 
At September 29, 2008 at 10:27 PM, Blogger Alan aka RecessRampage said...

Your title shoulda been Go Holmes then.... cuz the Steelers got the job done woooooooooot!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home