Monday, July 07, 2008

OK, I Guess You Could Say I'm On Tilt

There's a dent on the wall, just above my monitor. It's new, it happened about 10 minutes ago, when I chucked my mouse at it. It's not horribly big, but it's noticeable. I feel bad about it now, and I'm not looking forward to people asking me about it.

"Hey, how did that get there?"
"AJ lost to 77 when he 4-flushed me."
"Huh?"

I don't know if it's fallout from the $500 lost I spoke about last post or what, but I'm totally off my game in every single way possible. I'm winning small pots & losing big ones. I'm playing hands about as best as possible & as worst as possible. I'm getting tricky when ABC will do just fine, but I feel like I'm also being read like a book. Every continuation bet is being called if it's not being raised, unless I have a strong hand, and then they're just folding. I'm playing big pairs for deception to build a pot, only to let my opponent get a 2-outer, then refusing to fold when the only thing I beat is a bluff.

It's not all bad play though, there's also plenty of junk-kicking going on too (see AJ vs 77 above, plus countless other stories I'll spare you from). The consequence is that my bankroll has taken an $800 dive since the end of last week. Granted, the end of last week was very good, and I'm still up $400 since last Saturday, but that doesn't really provide me much solace right now.

I've spent most of my time playing the $.50\$1 games, and as you've seen from my recent posts, I'm still figuring these games out. I've made some adjustments (including no more limp-calling OOP with weak hands - can't believe I ever thought that was a good idea). One adjustment I still need to make is learning to fold an overpair when I'm most likely beat. It's easier to do when it's 88 or 99 on a low board, but when it's something like KK or QQ, it becomes tougher. I know I need to fold but I'm not doing it.

I know this will change. My hands will hold up, I'll be the once catching the outs, and I'll stop playing hands like a jackass. The first two just have to happen mathematically, that last one is one me. Getting into a different mindset will help. I've let the beats affect me more than they should. I need to look at the positives; my bankroll is still intact & more than double what I set for my goal this year, I'm still showing a good profit at the $.50\$1 level, and I know many of the mistakes I need to correct.

In the meantime, I probably should consider getting a mouse with a cord instead of sticking with the wireless.

1 Comments:

At July 8, 2008 at 6:16 AM, Blogger WillWonka said...

Do you mind if I just copy and paste this into my blog. This is exactly, OK almost exactly what I was going to post but was too frustrated to put in print.

I've lost $900 play 50NL in July which almost gives back everything I made in June where I made something like $1,400.

I've come close to losing my mouse. If only I had a cat to kick.

Hopefully things will turn around.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home