Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Using Holdem Manager

So after Recess called me out on my donkish ways, it was obvious that if I am going to continue playing cash games, it's in my best interest to purchase some kind of HUD. I pretty much knew this already; my apprehension to doing so was twofold:

1. I never had the bankroll to legitimately play cash games until now. I wasn't about to pay for a HUD to play at the $.05\$.10 stakes.

2. Although the cost was relatively low, I had a hard time justifying it the past couple of months because I was fiscally restricted (although purchasing it while I am unemployed doesn't really make sense either, but I can justify it via severance pay).

With both of those reasons out of the way, I followed Gnome's advice and purchased Holdem Manager. And so far, it's definitely made a difference. Not only did I make up for the expense with one session, I've nearly doubled my profit at the $.50\$1 levels in just a couple of days.

Obviously, having the VP$IP stats on each player has certainly made a difference. It's helped me identify tighter players and make a couple of easy laydowns that I may have talked myself into calling otherwise. I've also used the Steal statistics to find out who some of the more notorious stealers are, and I've taken down a bunch of smaller pots preflop with some light 3-betting (in position, of course) against these folks.

What I'm still trying to figure out is the best way to use this software. Right now, I've got 6 stats on the HUD: # of hands, VP$IP, AQ, Steal, 3-bet, fold to 3-bet. I'm curious to find out what stats others use on their HUD. There's so much available, and I've only had it for a couple of days, so I haven't really played around with it very much yet.

One thing I'm still trying to figure out is how to get maximum value out of my hands. I know that I'm not going to always felt someone every time I get a huge hands, and I think that having Holdem Manager will help me improve this, but I also can't help but wonder if I missing out on bigger pots because of how I played the hand. For example:

Full Tilt Poker Game #6811565879: Table Yeager - $0.50/$1 - No Limit Hold'em - 17:03:27 ET - 2008/06/13
Seat 1: briancheng ($100)
Seat 2: Goso ($20)
Seat 3: Instantdeath101 ($101.35)
Seat 4: kabo9 ($102.15)
Seat 5: luckfactor ($100)
Seat 6: mclarich ($98.45)
Seat 7: horsedrawn ($76.40)
Seat 8: backroadbural ($102.50)
Seat 9: OSUBucks02 ($118.50)
kabo9 posts the small blind of $0.50
luckfactor posts the big blind of $1
The button is in seat #3
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to mclarich [Tc Th]
mclarich raises to $3
horsedrawn folds
backroadbural calls $3
OSUBucks02 folds
Goso folds
Instantdeath101 has 15 seconds left to act
Instantdeath101 calls $3
kabo9 folds
luckfactor calls $2

First of all, I have to add that one change I've made is increased preflop bets. For some reason, I wasn't doing pot bets, or not making big enough bets with limpers as per the suggestion from my last post. So there's one way to increase the pots that I'm winning. With that aside, not too happy to see 3 callers to my UTG raise prefloop.


*** FLOP *** [Qs 5d Td]
luckfactor checks
mclarich bets $9
backroadbural calls $9
Instantdeath101 folds
luckfactor folds

So now I'm a bit happier to see three callers preflop. OOP with a set on a draw-heavy board, I bet 3\4 pot. I'm not really familiar with the one caller but figure him for some sort of draw or maybe KQ.

*** TURN *** [Qs 5d Td] [2s]
mclarich has 15 seconds left to act
mclarich bets $23
backroadbural folds
Uncalled bet of $23 returned to mclarich
mclarich mucks
mclarich wins the pot ($29)

So I guess this is a pretty standard hand. Turn doesn't complete any draws, so I bet out about 3\4 again and he folds. Being OOP, I didn't want him to get a free card to any draws or odds to chase with one card left, and I thought that he could call again with TP. I feel like this is one hand where the pot really wasn't going to get much bigger than this, but if anyone sees anything otherwise, let me know. It's a pretty boring hand but it's the only hand I have saved on my gf's laptop so it's what you get for now. I'll try to get some more interesting ones up later.

6 Comments:

At June 17, 2008 at 4:27 PM, Blogger Gnome said...

Other stats I use include Fold to Steal percentage, Fold to cbet and Went to showdown.
Some players never defend their blinds, so it's always profitable to attempt a steal with any two cards. Others never fold to cbets or always fold to them, so you can adjust accordingly.
Went to showdown gives you a good indication of how much a calling station someone is, which can affect your implied odds and bluffing opportunities.

 
At June 18, 2008 at 7:02 AM, Blogger WillWonka said...

I posted what I show on my blog:

http://will-wonka.blogspot.com/2008/05/and-winner-is-holde-em-manager.html

As Gnome says, I need to add Showdown stats as I've just been using the pop up stats now, it would probably be easier to show them. I tried adding a new panel; but couldn't get placement just right.

One of the greatest things is that you can mark a hand for review later immediately after you play the hand.

Good luck at the tables!!!

 
At June 18, 2008 at 10:45 AM, Blogger Alan aka RecessRampage said...

Stupid HUD geeks. :)

That HH, you really can't get anymore money out. You did everything right. the guy must have been on a flush draw (they always call a flop bet but not a turn bet). If he had a Q, he woulda kept calling so your line is fine.

 
At June 19, 2008 at 4:59 PM, Blogger RaisingCayne said...

Software's for geeks and cheaters who can't get their own reads! Although I do completely understand YOUR need for the handicap! ;-)

I figured since we're bound to get together for another home game soon enough I'd start my trash talk well in advance.

Speaking of... maybe hit me up one evening you're online when/if you might wanna do a small last longer or something. I've stockpiled a few tokens and am hopin' to more routinely be in the $28k, or similar tourneys. Would enjoy the occassional opportunity to take a $5 chunk out of your bankroll. ;-)

(I'm such an ass! And will be expecting the humbling reminder that I haven't had a score worth a shit in ... ... well, too long.)

 
At June 23, 2008 at 7:31 AM, Blogger jamyhawk said...

Good post. I think it's about time for me to step up and get Holdem Manager too.

 
At February 24, 2009 at 4:14 PM, Blogger BoooomBaby said...

Good post. I just bought a HUD as well and it had made a huge difference with me just moving up to the NL100 stakes. You're not going to get much more out of that TT hand, pretty standard play.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home