Friday, March 07, 2008

What Would You Do?

First, some good news: I finally cracked the $500 barrier on my bankroll, so I can finally move up to $10 SNGs. I'll stay here until I hit $1k or drop back to $400, whichever happens first.

I was playing one of the $10 SNGs earlier when a hand came up that my opponent didn't take too kindly to. I'm curious to know how others felt about it. The scenario:

The bigstack has been fairly aggressive in the stealing category. I've repopped him once already with A8 then pushed on an AK2 all diamond board (I had 8d as well). He said he folded an Ace as well. I have been active stealing blinds as well but much tighter than he has been (in my mind)

He raised my BB again and I smooth call with A6c. Here's the HH:

Full Tilt Poker Game #5539592787: $10 + $1 Sit & Go (42156402), Table 1 - 100/200 - No Limit Hold'em - 15:42:07 ET - 2008/03/07
Seat 2: mclarich (4,505)
Seat 3: Martina76 (1,810)
Seat 7: mtp0ckets (7,185)
mtp0ckets posts the small blind of 100
mclarich posts the big blind of 200
The button is in seat #3
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to mclarich [Ac 6c]
Martina76 folds
mtp0ckets raises to 600
mclarich calls 400
*** FLOP *** [Qh Kc 3c]
mtp0ckets bets 1,200
mclarich raises to 3,905, and is all in

Because he was being aggressive & had folded to a push from me before, I thought that there was a chance he could fold. I'm mostly worried about KQ or 33 here, but I discounted those based on the size of his bet.

mtp0ckets calls 2,705
mclarich shows [Ac 6c]
mtp0ckets shows [9s Ks]
*** TURN *** [Qh Kc 3c] [As]
*** RIVER *** [Qh Kc 3c As] [7h]
mclarich shows a pair of Aces
mtp0ckets shows a pair of Kings
mclarich wins the pot (9,010) with a pair of Aces
mtp0ckets: 12 out loony

He went out in 3rd and stayed around a while to chastise me for my call when I think it should have been the other way around. He was only getting 2.3:1 on his money but was only 55:45 against an A high flush draw, and actually behind if I've got AJc or ATc. I think you'd also have to include KQ, KJ, KT or AK (although I'd probably reraise preflop), to which he is a huge underdog. He just happens to be up against the only hand he's ahead of at this point, but I think it's a huge mistake to call that given the strength I'm showing.

I'd love to hear other thoughts on this - am I the donkey or was he the donkey?

2 Comments:

At March 8, 2008 at 7:32 AM, Blogger Alan aka RecessRampage said...

Neither is the donkey. This hand plays itself out 3 handed. The guy is an idiot for not recognizing so he's probably upset that you shoved with the draw but if he had your hand, he woulda done the exact same.

 
At March 16, 2008 at 2:13 PM, Blogger Zeem said...

Matt,

I like your check raise on the flop. I'd consider re-popping preflop. You will be out of position for the rest of the hand. You are too deep to stop and go. But a raise here and you can shove the flop. His range is huge here and A6s figures to be ahead. A pre-flop call lets him get away from a dog hand or hit a flop and make an easy play. His comment is classic. I'll take 12 outs twice + a little fold equity all day long.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home