Thursday, January 31, 2008

JJ Not OK (When You Play It Like A Donk)

Work-tilt forced me to leave early & skip school last night. With a clear agenda on my Wednesday night, only one way to spend it!

The MOOOOOOOOOOOOOK

Of course I donked my way out of it about halfway through. Had the cards just didn't know how to play them. Pocket pairs for the night were 44, 66 2x, 77 2x, 99, JJ, QQ, KK, AA. Along with a couple AK or AQ thrown in there. With cards like that, I should have been rolling in the money, right?

Wrong!

AA was in the BB & everyone folded, KK folded to a raise. QQ flopped trips but didn't get much out of Astin other than a c-bet on the flop. I played most of my small pairs weakly, hoping to flop sets. The first couple didn't pan out. Finally, on the last 77, I flopped dem quads. I let leftylu catch up with his AQ and was able get his stack, putting me in the top 6 around the first break.

Then the donkeyness started.

Raised my JJ in EP only to see a reraise from DonkeyShortz (I believe, i'm doing this from work so don't recall the spelling) reraised my 700 to 1800. This was approximately half a stack. I had about 6800, so calling the addt'l would've left me with a decent stack still.

The flop came 8 or 9 high, all spades. I don't have a J of spades. What do I do? I put Shortz all in. He happily flips over AA (no spades) and takes the pot.

Seriously, what was I doing here? I can tell you know, I was doing anything but thinking critically, and nothing but fixating on those two Jacks of mine. Wheeeeeeee, overpair to the flop, let's play! How retarded is that? If I'm raising from an early position, and a decently tight player reraises me, how can I put his range on anything outside of AA-QQ, AK or AQ. I think even tens are out of a reraise range. It's not like I'm in steal position. I think there's a strong argument to fold preflop, but there's no argument on the flop - I must fold.

Anyways, I had a good time in the Mook, so I guess that's all that matters. Highlight of the night was Fuel calling me ghey for not playing HUC6 this time around. On the path to becoming a certified poker blogger, I think being called ghey by Fuel is one of the requirements. Good times.

2 Comments:

At January 31, 2008 at 3:47 PM, Blogger Fuel55 said...

Happy to oblige, gheyboy ...

 
At January 31, 2008 at 5:15 PM, Blogger Alan aka RecessRampage said...

I'm waiting for your $30 transfer...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home