Monday, September 10, 2007

Fantasy Football Week 1

Since so many bloggers are into FF, I figured it might be interesting to recap my FF team each week. Especially because it kicks ass.

If the first week is any sign of how the season will go, then it's looking pretty good. Of course, now that I've officially said that, Peyton is going to tear his ACL next week. GG me. Anyways, I won the first week fairly easily as I was able to get almost 10 points from every position. Even when my players weren't scoring touchdowns, they were at least getting yardage. Here was my lineup for the week:

Starters

Peyton Manning - An automatic start every week until December, when I might have to bench him if the Colts have the division wrapped up again. His first week numbers (293 & 3) should be par for the year, which I'll happily take for my No 1. pick.

Brian Westbrook - My 1st RB drafted ended up having the 3rd best week on my team. I expected the yardage against GB but also at least one TD. I love his versatility, and as long as he can stay healthy, I think he can end up a top 5 back.

Travis Henry - Aside from the lack of TDs, Henry came through in a big way this week. I'm worried a bit about Jay Cutler - at times, he looked horrible against the Bills, and I wonder if teams will start to pressure the run if Cutler starts hurting the pass game. Then again, this is the Broncos, and if anyone can run, it's these guys.

Reggie Wayne - He ended up starting for me after all! Our top draft choices started by default for week 1, and since I didn't explicitly state NOT to start him, he was in my lineup automatically.

Andre Johnson - I almost started Lee Evans in place of him, but since he was going against Denver's secondary, I went with AJ against a weaker Chiefs' D, and it totally paid off.

Heath Miller - Any points a TE can give you I consider as just gravy, so 35 yards + a TD was great to see.

Neil Rackers
- only 5 points, but you can never really predict what a kicker is going to do anyways

Seattle D - Maybe these guys will be decent this year after all. 6 pt allowed, 5 sacks & two FF gave me 13 points and a top 5 defense for the week.

Bench Notables

Marshawn Lynch - He ended up being my 2nd best RB for the week. Hopefully this is a flash of things to come, as I would love to have a steady 4th RB.

Lee Evans - He'll probably stay on my bench until Week 4, with Pittsburgh & NE coming up next.

Thomas Jones
- I drafted him to be my No. 2 back but he's running against Baltimore next week, so I think I'll take my chances with Henry vs Oakland.

Waiver Wire Action


I'm dropping Mark Clayton for Minnesota's D. I'm still not sold on Seattle's D despite the good effort against TB, and Minn looked pretty good yesterday (even though it was against Atlanta). A second D may be more valuable than a 6th WR right now.

5 Comments:

At September 11, 2007 at 6:36 AM, Blogger Alan aka RecessRampage said...

Nice start. I'm 2-1 among my three leagues.

 
At September 11, 2007 at 3:50 PM, Blogger RaisingCayne said...

And I'm 0-2 myself... as BOTH of my leagues started Drew Brees rather than Ben Worthlessberger. How was I supposed to know Big Ben was gonna go off, while Brees was gonna shrink? (Okay, so I suppose the opponents being the Cleveland Browns and the reigning Super Bowl Champs should have provided me SOME clue... I still wasn't able to make the bold starting QB replacement prior to kickoff.) This difference would've garnered me two wins rather than an 0-2 start too! I'm confident I'll rebound in week two though.

Your team looks pretty impressive! I'm envious, as neither of my squads I'm all too thrilled with.

Anyway... lookin' forward to the Friday evening tourney at the Treasure in Renton. Even talked another buddy of mine into likely joining me. We'll be in touch prior to then.

 
At September 11, 2007 at 3:57 PM, Blogger RaisingCayne said...

I suppose I should apologize for the "Worthlessberger" reference given you're a big Steelers fan. Pardon my Seahawk pride not permitting me to give the guy credit, even when it's likely due. (Stupid stupid Super Bowl...)

 
At September 12, 2007 at 7:47 AM, Blogger jamyhawk said...

Great job on your first week. I like the RB's and Wayne and Johnson should produce steadily. Marshawn Lynch will also develop into a top 10 back by week 5. He will be good if Henry gets hurt. I would start him ahead of Thomas Jones.

Not sure if Seattle D can be consistent. They were playing TB after all. And Minnesota was playing Atlanta. Good luck with that.

 
At September 13, 2007 at 7:05 AM, Blogger Schaubs said...

I agree, great looking team on paper. It's all about coaching though and you've gotta make the right decisions everytime to avoid what Cayne did in week one.

Nice work so far.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home