Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Adventures in Cash Games, Pt. 1

Two poker posts in one month? What is this, 2008?

Went back to Tulalip to play another tournament (summary: finished 14/60 when I shove AK into AA). Had some time to kill prior to tourney so played about one orbit of $1/$3. Curious to get feedback about this hand:

Fold to MP who limps for $3. I'm in SB with KK, I raise to $16. BB calls as does limper. I've got basically zero information on either MP or SB.

Flop is JJT rainbow. I check, BB bets $20. MP folds, I call.

Turn is 6. No flush draw on board. I check, BB checks.

River is a 4. What would you do here?

3 Comments:

At February 17, 2011 at 5:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not really not a fan of your line. I think you need to cbet the flop, bet the turn, and bet the river. I would fold to a raise on any street, since players at 1/3 are generally not raising draws or hands worse than trip Jacks.

However, as played, I think you need to put out a good sized value bet, around 50-55. Larger than this will scare these players, though in bigger games I would bet a bigger % of the pot. The reason you need to bet is because he is just so likely to check behind with any missed draw instead of bluffing, and will value bet small with hands you are beating. Hands that have you beat are going to either call or raise, making this a very easy bet/fold spot.

Betting here lets you set the price for hands that are worse, which should be a larger part of his range here than trips (especially since he checked behind on the turn).

 
At February 17, 2011 at 9:18 AM, Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

I am surprised as well by the failure to c-bet here. Unless you have some reason to think the guy has exactly a Jack in his hand, I do not understand that move, and it makes your decision on the river harder.

That said, he checked behind on the turn, so I would bet my Kings here on the river for sure. If he cleverly checked a Jack on the turn there, I would take the loss if he calls me down. There's just not enough information here to not try to get value on the river out of your big pair.

I bet $53 and would definitely consider folding if he raises here for a couple hundy or more.

 
At February 24, 2011 at 10:07 PM, Anonymous smokkee said...

def bet rvr and hope he calls, fold to a raise IMO

 

Post a Comment

<< Home