Wednesday, January 17, 2007

A Night Of Firsts

Tonight, not only did I play for the first time on Full Tilt, but I also played my first blogger tournament, The Mookie.

I started off relatively well (read: lucky). Unfortunately, I didn't save my hand history so I don't remember details.

I played tight to start, but I wasn't getting any cards, so I decided to start opening it up a bit. My first table was playing tight as well, so I stayed around the starting stack of 1500 for the first orbit or two.

The first big hand I encountered, it was folded to me on the button. With 97o, I raise it up 3x to 120. The BB reraises to 200, and I figure he's got to have a big hand, but I'm not going to fold for 80 more chips. But unless I flop a big hand, I'm done with the hand.

Fortunately, the flop comes 9K7. The only hand I'd put myself behind is KK, so I lead for 160 and the other guy just calls. Turn is a 7. If I'm up against KK, I'm screwed, so I check it, and he checks it as well. The river is a blank, and I check it again. He leads out for 350, and at this point, for some reason I don't put him on KK anymore. I reraise to 840 - if I get reraised, I'm done. He calls, and AA gets cracked once again.

I push Joe Speaker off of (supposedly) the hammer with AK, then I steal the blinds the next hand with my own hammer. The monsters are coming at me left and right.

Until the last break I hovered within the top 5 of chips. I was originally a little nervous about playing a blogger event, but once I realized I was holding my own, all that anxiety subsided. It was only a $11 event, but the last thing I wanted to do was end up as just another donkey (title plug) in a blogger event.

And yet, after the break, I decide to do just that. I raise from EP with AJo and get once caller, cracknaces. I've read his blog before so I'm pretty aware of his skill level. The flop comes A75 with two hearts. I lead out for about half the pot and he calls. The turn is 6h, we both check it. The river is a 5, and I'm behind any number of hands - a flush, trips, even AQ. I check it again and he leads out for 1600. It's close to a pot size bet, enough to make me think it's a bluff attempt. Is he using the 6h as a scare card? It's a good bet, enough to make me fold.

A couple hands later I limp in with AKo with the intent of check raising any raisers. I get my raise, but we both end up with AKo.

Finally, I open from EP w\A9 off. One caller, and the flop comes A3c5c. I lead out for 800 and he reraises to 2200. I've got him covered but not by much. I go back and forth between calling and folding but for some reason I decide he's on a flush draw and go all in. Why I came up with that read, I dunno, but I was well behind AK and IGH the next hand.

I went from being in the top 5, playing well and making good reads to donking off my chips within a couple of hands. Basically, I got impatient and started playing horribly. I'm still not completely sure I made a good laydown with my AJ, but that wasn't my biggest undoing anyways, the A9o hand was.

All in all it was a good time and a good introduction to the blogger games. I look forward to playing more and donking it up less.

3 Comments:

At January 18, 2007 at 3:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for playing in The Mookie last night and welcome to the group. Hope to see you at future events.

 
At January 18, 2007 at 3:30 PM, Blogger Schaubs said...

I'm new to the scene as well... we've got a long way to go to keep up with some of these players, they make you make some tough decisions for sure... but it can only help in the long run. see ya around.

 
At January 18, 2007 at 3:59 PM, Blogger SirFWALGMan said...

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOK! Come play again!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home